Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Painting Flower Pots




Yesterday I painted another flower pot. My co-workers gave me a beautiful keepsake azalea as my going away present when I left my job last week. (I resigned to pursue my graphic design/creative direction and fine art business full time - big step, but exciting!) When I read the plant care instructions I saw this was an indoor azalea which I didn't know there was such a thing. So I set out to get a pot yesterday and what I like to do is buy the inexpensive terra cotta pots and paint them. What I like about these is they are #1 THE LEAST EXPENSIVE POTS THEY SELL and #2 THEY ARE MADE IN THE USA! (and anyone who knows me knows how important that is) Then I just decorate them myself. I use acrylic paint and usually use a sponge brush to get the base coat down so you can't see brushstrokes, then depending on what is going on it, a combination of sponges or regular brushes work well for the designs. This is a great way to decorate your flower pots yourself and save a ton of money.

In my opinion, this beats spending 3 times as much on a plastic pot made in China. I've painted several before although this time I didn't really know what I wanted to do so I didn't have a vision when I started out - and you can kinda tell! I probably would have rather left it plain white (there is some silver in there as well) but added the blue and green. It isn't the prettiest thing but it matches my dining room and kitchen which is where it sits.

This brown pot in the second photo is one I did as a gift a few years ago. It's definitely my favorite one.

No comments:

Post a Comment