Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Who Am I


This is the first self portrait I have done in 10 years... let me rephrase.. it is the 3rd attempt at the first self portrait I've done in 10 years. This is the expression of a feeling I've had lately and an expanded sketch I did for a project in my Art Theory class in college several years ago.

When we are doing so many things, trying to BE so many different things, it is easy to get lost in the busyness that we forgot who we are. I know we are not supposed to find our identity in what we do, but today's culture is so fast paced it is hard to not get caught up in it. I interpreted this through the wearing of several hats, because that is in essence how I feel... I'm wearing so many hats - is the real me under there somewhere??? Who is that anyway??? But such is life I suppose.


Normally I work in acrylic paint but have really wanted to get back to some drawing basics lately so that is how I started this one. It is graphite with a few touches of charcoal and an acrylic wash in some areas. I really enjoy doing portraits but I must say at this point, Self Portraits require more self examination than I am up for... so I probably won't be doing any more portraits of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment