Wednesday, February 18, 2015

First Painting of a Car in quite awhile!

So i went out of my comfort zone on the background on this one!  This is a good example of how I had what I thought was a crystal clear picture and plan of how I wanted the painting to turn out when I started.... and then it turned into something completely different!

 I originally planned to have the dark car on a background of lime greens/blacks - choppy palate knife style brushstrokes that I like to do.   But after getting the car mostly blocked in and detailed, I realized it just wasn't going to work that way.  So I was thinking what would work with some of the highlight colors I had already placed in the reflections of the car body and a sunset seemed to pop into my mind.  Landscapes aren't typically my cup of tea, so I was nervous to try it but after lots of work in the end, it turned out ok I think! 

I must say painting a black car is not very easy at all!  Well painting any car is quite a challenge.. but the black seems to be more difficult than other colors... especially when creating a completely different background than any of your reference photos as the reflections where photos are taken are such a major part of how the car appears.

I also was able to find a great deal on those extra thick canvases which I think are really cool.  They add more dimension to the painting giving extra impact when hanging on the wall... or even allowing for the finished work to be set on a shelf! 





No comments:

Post a Comment